Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

i am having my gall bladder removed on april 18th. 2 weeks

i am having my gall bladder removed on april 18th. 2 weeks ago I had a severe attack. I have been eating a very limited low fat diet. if i follow this diet strictly will this along with plenty of water help to prevent a future attack until the surgery?

also, i talked to my surgeon & know that blood clots are a risk with this surgery. do they develop just because of the anesthesia & procedure or lack of inactivity? I had a blood clot 3 years ago, due to a broken ankle, and being in a cast that was too tight...my plan is if all goes well with surgery to take short walks every hour until I am healed and can resume my normal walking routines. Will this help?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

Greetings.

If you follow the diet strictly, this in all likelihood would prevent any further attack till the surgery. Low fat diet is the best way of prevention of acute gall bladder pain.

The risk of clot is due to inactivity. Since it is done laparoscopically (minimal access surgery), people are inactive just for a day, so chance of clot is low. Walking short walks after the surgery will definitely help and prevent the blood clot.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you give me some ideas on some foods/beverages I can have right now. I am basically living on wheat toast w/ a little jelly (no fat), waffles, grilled chicken breasts, grilled tilapia, green beans, peas, baked potatoes or roasted. i have just been drinking water, but have tried an occasional diet pepsi and small cup of plain black coffee.

Thank you so much for your help. I can gladly say I'm ready to be done with the gall bladder, aside from being terrified of the surgery.

You are very welcome.

You can have fresh juices, which are the best beverage when one have gallstones. You can eat all kind of fruits, vegetables and freshwater fish. Avoid butter, oil, cream, eggs, cheese, fatty meats and full-fat milk. Here is a link about the diet details;

http://www.gallbladderattack.com/gallbladderdiet.shtml#gallbladderdiet

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun