Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I jump out of my skin at loud noises, for example: a car horn

Customer Question

I suffer from anorexia and in treatment. Why do i startle so easy? I jump out of my skin at loud noises, for example: a car horn or when someone enters a room. What could be causing this extreme reaction?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 6 years ago.
How about your vit b12 levels?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
normal vit b12
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 6 years ago.
Vitamin D deficiency also causes agitation of nerves.The neurons threshold of firing is decreased hence they fire at a very low stimulus this causes startling and agitation in response to slightly loud noises.It will be fine after you make up deficiency.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
does this hyper reaction have any correlation to the ed?
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 6 years ago.
Yes ,erection is also linked with nerve strength .Healthy nerves will cause good erection .Bad nerves will lead to dysfunction.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Really??? Did this Dr. even read the question! What a waste of time....Do your self a favor and read the question and the answer.....
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 6 years ago.
Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Are you being treated for any anxiety disorders?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no.. only anxiety I have is related to eating, which I can not do.
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 6 years ago.
While the previous experts answer is correct in that it could possibly cause your problem, My opinion is that it is purely psychological, which means it is anxiety related. This means this might improve with anti- anxiety medication. That is the most likely cause unless you have an inner ear abnormality causing an abnormal reaction to noise, which is possible but less likely
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so your saying that there is no connection to my hyper reactions and not eating due to anorexia.
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 6 years ago.
The hyper reactions are unlikely related to anorexia, although both are likely related to anxiety