Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

It started with a sore throat and my glands were swollen. It

It started with a sore throat and my glands were swollen. It went to my chest and nose. After two weeks the chest cold went away, but I still had swollen glands and a cough. I went to the doctors they gave me antibiotics which took care of my cough. However, my glands are still swollen. They seem to have gotten worse. It's hard to swollow and eat. I take Valtrex for herpes. Recently I got a new cold sore, so I figured the swollen glands was caused by the herpes infection, however, the herpes are going away but the swollen glands are not. I have been taken asprin to help with the pain, but it just wont go away. And the pain is going back and forth from my left to my right. It almost seems like there are re-infectiong themselves. What do you suggest?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Which investigations have been done so far?

Which pain killers have you tried?

Were you tested for MONO.

Which antibiotics taken?

I am an Ear. Nose & Throat specialist and wants to help you

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've been only taking asprin or aleeve for the pain. The antibiotics I took was Azithromycin. I have not been tested for mono, but I was re-tested for herpes. Basically what happened is I know I have herpes, but when I have an outbreak it's always on the samespot of my upper lip. However, when I woke last Friday morning I had a new lesion on a new spot of my mouth. I was concrened and went to the med center Sunday. Monday they tested me. and Yesterday I got the results.It stated that I have herpes 1 and I have a new outbreak. The weired part is is Wednesday I broke out on my normal spot . So I'm not sure if the test I gotten was detecting the new or old leasion. And why I think I this might be the result of my swollen glands is because my doctor said if I ever get a new lesion it's painful. But I had the swollen glands before the lesions and I have been taking valtrex. The old lesion is going away but the new lesion is still there. I'm not sure if it is herpes at all. And my glands are still swollen and it hurts to swollow

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your input.

This is herpes because first of all you tested for it and it was positive.

The new and old lesions are not a concern because the virus causing this remains dormant in the body and can present with this lesion, anytime our immunity gets low. So in my opinion this is the same happening with you.

Swollen glands however might not be the part of the herpes because with herpes we donot get such swollen painful gland. Remeber that whenever you will get ill due to anyother virus or bacteria and your immunity will go low you will be at risk of developing such lesions so basically now you should wait and see and moreover ask your doctor to change the antibiotics. But before all ask your doctor to get you tested for MONO. Its a viral illness and you might have that along with herpes.

In last sentense i will try to clarify you again that herpes virus is in your body, when your immunity will get low due to any illness you can have outbreak, either at the same place or adjacent or nearby area.

I hope this helps you.

Please ask more if you want, click ACCEPT if you agree

Regards

Get Well Soon

Dr Hasan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So what your saying is I have herpes and because I have herpes when ever I get sick my immune system trys to fight off the infection through my glands? And b/c you think I have mono it may have caused the lesions ? Why mono? Do I have symptoms from what you read?And are you saying to not worry about new or old lesions cause either way I have herpes?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your input.

Well yes if you have had herpes then you can get it again either at the same or nearby lesion. Old and new lesions are not to be concerned, i said so because what i want to say is that there is no risk in that you get a new lesion at other place because significance of old and new is same as the causative organism is same.

Yes mono is a possibility in your case , i am not saying you have it for sure but seems to be and should be checked for that because mono can present like this.

Lastly i will again repeat that when you get sick you can get herpes lesion because of low immune system and you should keep your immune system up by healthy diet, exercise, vitamins etc to avoid this.

if anything not clear please ask or click ACCEPT if you agree.

Regards

DR HASAN

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery