Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

My son is 27 years old....he is the picture of health. He

Customer Question

My son is 27 years old....he is the picture of health. He had a very bad bout of flu this winter that lasted about 3 weeks...high fevers, aches, pains, coughing.....Now, several weeks later, he is experiencing episodes of shortness-of -breath to the point of going to the ER. It seemed like an asthma attack at first, but docs ruled that out. His heart and lungs are clear and fine. He went to his primary doc as a follow-up...good ekg, blood pressure, etc. We looked for answers on the internet, and at first, thought it may be related to anxiety/depression. We are not convinced of it being related to this either. More research has lead us to you....do you think it could be a virus somehow related to his previous flu that has settled in his chest - like between the heart and lungs in the chest wall/cavity?? We are in need of answers as my son is feeling very unsettled.
Category: Health
Expert:  Robert Fernando replied 3 years ago.
Hello.
What are his present symptoms?
Is he having cough, fever?
Chills?
Is he taking any medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
His doctor prescribed 4 days of a steroid - during which he had not episodes of shortness of breath. When he finished the steroids, the episodes started again each day lasting about 90 mins each...no other meds - normally perfectly healthy....no prior history of this
Well, these symptoms, may be due to - excessive production of mucus & phlegm blocking the airways. When the airways react, they get narrower, and less air flows through to your lung tissue.

He needs broncho dilator medications and long term cortico steroids to reduce inflammation. Nebuliser & inhaled medications are more effective as they act directly on the airway surface and airway muscles.

Short-acting inhaled beta-agonists are the preferred quick-relief medicine..This can be decided only after physical examination. \Chest X-ray should be done, as a measure of precaution.
Also he should remain away from stress and anxiety. Practice yoga and meditation for relaxation.
I suggest that he should make an appointment with pulmonary doctor.

Kind Regards
Dr Robert.
:)Please feel free for any follow up query.
Please click Green"ACCEPT" button on this page so that I get credit for my work. Your Positive feedback and BONUS is always welcome.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As previously stated...heart ekg was normal and lung xrays were clear. He has no congestion/coughing, etc. so I'm not understanding what you are saying about phlegm and mucus.
Well, i understand that Chest X-ray is clear along with no changes in EKG. Having a past history of attack of flu, now it looks that Viral attack has come again. This can cause blocking of the airways. When the airways react, they get narrower, and less air flows through to your lung tissue. His symptoms can be relieved with broncho dilator medications and long term cortico steroids to reduce inflammation.
Stress and anxiety can worsen the attack

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
His primary doctor as well as the ER doctor agree that this is not related to his heart or lungs. Therefore, I do not agree or accept your answer. Thank you.
No problem.. You are free to accept.. thanks for using justanswer service.