CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

My 9 yo son has 3 small (1cm) areas of redness on his face

Customer Question

My 9 yo son has 3 small (1cm) areas of redness on his face that burn and itch slightly. They at first showed up as small bumps around his lip and on his chin. 2 areas seem to be drying up slightly and are less itchy. It does not seem to be spreading at this point. Is this something to watch and hydrocortisone or should I have it looked at?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. It sounds like it may be fungal in nature ( fungus is known to gto in moiste places such as around the nose and mouth) .. I would try using a light dab of tinactin or other over the counter antifungal to see if this helps, you will know this within a day or two. If it does not improve it may be bacterial and may require a prescription antibiotic cream such as Bactroban, so at that point you would need to take him to his Doctor so he can examine, diagnose and treat this effectively.