Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
8708167

I get a dull ache in my right side below my rib cage usually

I get a dull ache in my right side below my rib cage usually after drinking and sitting long hours on a bar stool. I do have lower bachaches that run down my right hip as well. Is this do to drinking alot and how long befor my liver would heal if that is what the problems are?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 5 years ago.

DrTharun :

HI

DrTharun :

Is there any fever? How long have you been drinking ?

DrTharun :

Any loss of appetite ? ANy relation to intake of food?

DrTharun :

Any other medical illness?

DrTharun :

HAve you done a liver function test lately?

Customer:

I have been drinking all my life. Noloss of appetite or food problems. Basically healthy with blood presure of 138/78, sugar under 100, cholesteral at 225 not on any medications. One and one half years ago full blood work with no signs of liver problems

DrTharun :

Any bowel complaints like blood in stools or black colored stools?

Customer:

No, but I generally do not have a daily bowl movement. Never have. I use to bing drink alot since my twenties. The last year or two I have drank most times one or two a day. Ocassionaly I do bing during parties etc. Maybe two times a month

DrTharun :

Such a long duration of drinking can damage the liver and cause the pain in the region you mentioned .

DrTharun :

Is there any yellowing of the eyes or the skin?

Customer:

No. I am Italian and Hungarian. I tan alot. After tanning begins to fade my tan is a golden more yellow hue. Does that count?

DrTharun :

How about the eyes ? Is the white of the eyes turning yellow ?

Customer:

No. Must tell you my General practicioner told me years ago that my liver was a little large for a girl my size. Not hard or painfull to the touch. My colon is also longer then it should be. I am 5'4" and weigh 136 lbs. only 4 lbs heavier then highschool

DrTharun :

Ok.The fact that there is pain after drinking would indicate the pain could be originating from the liver.

DrTharun :

ANother cause for such pain could be gastritis - ulcer disease of the stomach.

DrTharun :

You need to do a liver function test and ultrasound of the abdomen.In the meanwhile start taking antacids like prilosec which will take care of the gastritis if present.

Customer:

Does that mean there is permanent damage to the liver? or can it correct itself with more limited alcohol intake. The gas part makes alot of sence since I do pass alot of gas at time of pain and that does make it go away for the most part until I have another gas build up in about 20 minutes or so.

DrTharun :

Yes that is a positive symptom for the gastritis.you can start on prilosec or neksium and see if it helps.

DrTharun :

Almost 40 years of drinking is bound to have some damage on the liver which can be reversible or irreversible which can be told only after a liver biopsy

Customer:

Can I correct any liver issue by limiting my alcohol to one or two drinks per day or do I need to avoid alcohol altogether?

DrTharun :

Best results would be stopping altogether obviously.

Customer:

Thank you for your help. In general cases I am pretty healthy all around. Very active hard working, but do have a circle of friends that all cocktail occasionally. I'll stop those daily cocktails with my husband and avoid any binging.

DrTharun :

yes

Customer:

Thanks again.