Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

what is ment by your ion count in your liver is dangerously

what is ment by your ion count in your liver is dangerously high
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Pauline :

What specific counts are high/

Pauline :

Do you take any medication or have any medical problems?

Customer:

my liver counts are high. my doc called me today and said my ion count was dangerously high. and i needed to get in and see her. i have always had a fatty liver. i do not drink . im a diabetic . i need to know what ions are

Pauline :

Ions in the context of health can also be referred to as electolytes. Common electolytes to measure are sodium, potassium and calcium. Having a high potassium can be worrying as it increases risk of changes to heart rhythm however we do not know the exact significance without knowing the exact result.

Pauline :

A high potassium can also be caused by delay in blood sample getting to lsb

Pauline :

lab...so the first thing is to recheck blood tests and have a ECG

Customer:

i dont know what counts are high only that my ion counts in my liver are high. meds i take are 1000mg metformin,10mg glipizide, 40mg lisinopril, 2.5mg amlodipine, andnph human insulin. iam a police officer and was on duty when my doc called me today and could not talk to her. she said it was very important that i get in to see her

Customer:

yes my doc wanted me to retest

Pauline :

Then you do need to see her as soon as possible. We need to assume that this is a potential for you to become unwell quickly and a high stress job does not help matters.

Customer:

my mother had liver cancer can this lead to liver cancer

Pauline :

Becing diabetic puts you at risk of afatty liver disease and long term cirrhosis from this. Then there is a risk long term of liver cancer, however I would not be thinking liver cancer just yet unless you had a previous history of alcohol excess or diabetes from a young age.

Customer:

what is an ecg and i have been a diabtic for about 12 years

Pauline :

ECG is a heart trace to look at your heart rhythym and needs to be done if potassium is very high.

Pauline :

Being diabetic for 12 years, the changes leading to cancer are unlikely to have been fully established.

Customer:

about 8 months ago i had some pains in my chest and fillings that did not seem right. the doc gave me an ekg then astress test ekg then a24 hour ekg test which all came back neg.

Pauline :

At the moment we are only guessing but if your potassium is high then you need a repeat ECG regardless of previous results,. however do not get too worried just yet. Take half an hour to pop in and get the blood redone and then let me know the exact results.

Pauline :

I need to go offline now, will check back later.

Customer:

thank you how do i get back in touch with you

Pauline :

you use the reply facility to enter more text. However i cannot guarantee what time I will get off the ward later.