Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

I spilled boiling water on my stomach about 1 hour ago. It

I spilled boiling water on my stomach about 1 hour ago. It looks like there was a blister on it and it popped. I never actually saw the blister I just saw the skin at the top of the burn. It is red and moist.

I put a very wet washcloth on it and kept putting water on it. I now have it covered in Neosporin. Will it be okay to just keep it covered in Neosporin until it heals?

Nurse Milli :

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Nurse Milli :

How large of an area is it? can you estimate?

Customer:

It is about 2.5 inches long and 1.5" wide

Customer:

Possibly slighty bigger

Nurse Milli :

ok thanks

Nurse Milli :

the best thing to do is to try to figure out if you have a first or second degree burn

Nurse Milli :

if a first degree, you can keep it covered with a dry gauze to keep the air off of it and if a second degree, you can keep a burn cream or ointment on it (like Neosporin)...although keeping some cream on it if a first degree won't hurt it either

Customer:

I think it is a second degree burn based on what I have read about the difference between the 2. Should I just keep the Neosporin on it until it heals? Or should I just keep it dry and keep any air off it?

Nurse Milli :

well, keeping the air off of it will help with the pain..the cream is just to keep it moist and comfortable

Nurse Milli :

it would be great to find some Tefla pads at your local pharmacy...they are non stick

Customer:

oh okay. It burns a little bit but not much. feels good with the neosporin on it. So just keep the cream on it until it heals pretty much? Thanks!

Nurse Milli :

yes, just keep the cream on it

Nurse Milli :

hope it heals up nicely!

Customer:

Thank you!