Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

244 to 224, HDL was 76 to 53 and LDL was 149 to 143 in 6 weeks

Is it normal for the HDL to go down when the cholesterol count goes down? my cholesterol went from 244 to 224, HDL was 76 to 53 and LDL was 149 to 143 in 6 weeks, no meds just a better diet.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 3 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes when you reduce the fat in your diet both the HDL and LDL will tend to go down.

Anthony Bray MD :

You would prefer to have more LDL lowering than HDL though.

Anthony Bray MD :

You might try adding some Niacin if you wish whicch would tend to help raise the HDL ("good" cholesterol)

Customer:

yes I would like the HDL to raise. my daughter is in nursing school and works cardiac rehab/ exercise specialist but wasn't sure about this particular matter. the TC/HDL ratio was 3.2 to 4.2 says at low risk what does this mean?

Customer:

I go back in 6 months

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes you benefit from the higher HDL as this helps to clear plaque deposits from arteries while LDL tends to cause plaque deposits.

Anthony Bray MD :

Exercise benefits HDL, some alcohol in moderation as well as Niacin are factors which benefit the HDL fraction.

Anthony Bray MD :

The HDL drop may also be in part be related to your age and menopause.

Anthony Bray MD :

The previous ratio of 3.2 was actually better than the latter one of 4.2.

Anthony Bray MD :

In the absence of risk factors you would like to get your LDL below 130 but the higher you keep the HDL is generally better.

Customer:

menopause 6 years past Hystorectomy. thank you for taking the time to answer my questions

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome. If you should have other questions then let me know and i will be happy to get back with you. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and best regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice