Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

38 years old and I have had genital herpes for 17 years

Hello. I am 38 years old and I have had genital herpes for 17 years. I now have a baby, and
she one day had trouble breathing. I tried blowing the mucus out without knowing I had the
virus in my mouth. She now has the virus on her mouth and through touching her face it now
is spreading to her cheeks. What can I do to keep it form spreading? She is 20mths old is she
too young too young for topical treatments. I am also worried about when reaches school age
and teen years and her social life. I am upset and ashamed that this will affect her self-
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health for your question.

I am sorry to hear about your baby, just must be so upset with yourself - but are you sure it is genital herpes or HSVII? It may very well be HSVI, and this is actually something that 80% of Americans have by age 18. It tends to occur when we are quite young, so we may not recall it. As long as she has no history of immune problems, it will heal.

You can take her to her pediatrician, and if it looks like a more intense outbreak than typical anti-viral medication can be given.

It may not even have been from you that she caught this!

Here is information on Herpes I:

Please write back if you have questions or need clarification so that we can assist you until you are satisfied with your answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm thinking it's from me because its exactly where I placed my mouth to blow out mucus. she's had it before it healed but afraid it will occurr and worried when she starts schoo ls there any way to stop the spreading on her fac?. Her doctor says it just has to run its course.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.

Did you have HSVII or genital herpes in your mouth? This may be HSV I.

Either way, whether genital or oral the break out's become less and less as one ages.

Make sure she is getting well rounded nutrition (which likely you are providing) and is stressed as little as possible.

You should find this link helpful from the Miami Children's hospital. It provides some trusted alternative suggestions to help heal the rash: