Susan RN
Susan RN, Nurse
Experience:  RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical
19689124

Can I be having an allergic reaction to ibuprofen Took 800

Customer Question

Can I be having an allergic reaction to ibuprofen? Took 800 mg. Sunday evening for tennis elbow. Monday mid morning my eyes began to itch and water. Now both eye lids above and the area below my eyes are very very swollen. Itchy too. Eyeball seems fine. Then the bottoms of my feet started itching and became bright red. (took an antihistamin and that went away) The area under my tongue swelled some as well. Today is Tuesday the eyes are still swollen but improving. The under th tongue swelling has gone down as well.
At first thought it was seasonal allergies from being outside (Atlanta-pollen) but then the itchy feet and under tongue issue made me wonder about the ibuprofen. Never happened before but then I never have taken such a high dose. Female/good health/53 .
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan RN replied 5 years ago.

Susan RN :

Hello jacustomer, it is possible that you could have had an allergic reaction to the high dose of ibuprofen from the symptoms you describe and the relief you got from the antihistamine.

Susan RN :

If you have not done so yet, please let your doctor know so it can be put in your medical record.

Susan RN :

You will want to check pain relievers you take for ibuprofen. YOu may also want to be cautious with other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines.

JACUSTOMER-im3bs34l- :

I will go to the doctor tomorrow and check for other possible causes.

JACUSTOMER-im3bs34l- :

This is the first time I have used an online service such as this. I wish to not pay the fee.