CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

Hi I would like someone with experience on Gastro-intestinal

Hi I would like someone with experience on Gastro-intestinal problems. Please take your time for the answer as I know I have a somewhat complex condition. I will gladly tip as this has been bothering my life for quite a while.

I have colon transit problems. I'm a 34 year old man with diagnosed anxiety (OCD and GAD). Major depression also. My mood is very good thanks in part to the high dose Citalopram I'm taking. My anxiety is also under control thanks again to the med.

I have to go to the bathroom at least 4 and sometimes 5 times a day. Every time it takes a long while before I can get some stool out. I often have to stand up from the toilet , staying focused on my bowel movement of course , sit back down , stand up again .. hemorroidal problems also .. I have internal hemmorroids checked by my doctor.
I rarely have the sensation of a close to empty colon .. I most of the time can feel that there is still some stool there waiting to get out but of course I try and succeed in getting my mind off of it by doing some work or else for example.

I know the basic advice for transit/constipation problems .. exercise , lots of water , fibre etc and I follow that pretty much.

By blood tests do not show any intolerence to gluten.

All in all I suspect the Citalopram plays a role in these intestinal problems. But before trying to switch to another antidepressant I want to make sure that it's the case because this medication is providing excellent results for my mood and anxiety problems.

So I would like your expert advice on all of this.

Thank you very much.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. While the Citalopram can cause changes in bowel habits, there is something you can do to promote excellent colon health and regular, productive, easy to expel bowel movements. I know you said you do take fiber, but it must be consistent. My recommendation is to drink at least 8 large glasses of water per day,Purchase Bio- K, ( found in healt food stores in the cold case) which is an excellent probiotic that will not only promote regularity but also improve your immune system, also purchase Benefiber..( Over the counter) and take it per package directions. This combination will promote regular, productive, well formed, easy to pass stools, and you won't have to try to change a medication that is working so well for you:-)