Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

foot right foot and leg as well as in my right hand and arm

numbness in foot

I recently started experiencing numbness/tingling in my right foot and leg as well as in my right hand and arm. It comes and goes.

I had a brain mri - all was okay and saw a neurologist who diagnosed me with sciatica. The arm/hand he said was another nerve that was irritated.

But every time I get the numbness in my foot (like today when I was walking around), it comes back in my hand too. Which makes me think they are related.

Any ideas what would cause this?

(I don't have diabetes, no auto immune diseases)
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 5 years ago.

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

You may indeed have Sciatica (what you have described is consistent with Sciatica) but your hand numbness and tingling could be something like carpal tunnel syndrome or even ulnar nerve entrapment. I'm not sure that these two are related but as long as your Neurologist has cleared you from things like Multiple Sclerosis, or underactive thyroid, I would focus on seeing an Orthopedist to rule out the carpal tunnel or even the ulnar nerve entrapment.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, Multiple Sclerosis and thyroid issues have been ruled out. He was able to feel a nerve near my elbow that he said was causing my hand issues (not carpal tunnel). I just find it odd that both my arm and leg flare up at the same time. Should I just assume this is a coincidence or could it be something else?

At this point, I would assume that is not connected because your symptoms are vague and non-specific....if you had a system-wide disease such as MS or hypothyroidism it would coincide. Otherwise, it seems very coincidental.