Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Pain in the bottom of the heel. What could cause it?

I have pain on the bottom of my heel. It hurts to put pressure on it. Since I already have a plantar fibroma in the arch of that foot, I wear orthotics all the time.. Is this related? or is it possiblly a bone spur. If so, does icing help, and does this just go away in time? thanks for any assistance with this

Following are the likely causes for your pain;

1) Achilles tendinitis; heel tendon inflammation

2) Retrocalcaneal bursitis; bursa are fluid filled sac (pocket like structures) for smooth movement of the tendon, which can get inflamed and termed bursitis. The heel bone is called calcaneum and the bursa below it is inflamed thus the term retrocalcaneal.

3) Plantar fasciitis; heel has got a soft tissue underneath called as plantar fascia, inflammation of which is called plantar fasciitis.

4) Calcaneal periostitis; heel bone inflammation

5) Calcaneal spurs; wear and tear arthritis forms small bone growth.

The treatment is almost same for all these conditions with the minor variations. Following may help you;

1) Moist heat or ice compresses; whatever suits you
2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen
3) Local analgesic ointment /spray
4) Physical therapy
5) Deep electrotherapy like iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation etc.
6) Consideration of steroid shot
7) Shock wave therapy
8) Custom-fabricated inserts in shoe-wear

There is a new therapy called as autologous blood injection in which your own blood is injected at the pain site, is said to be quite effective. Shock wave therapy is available in sport medicine clinics or physical therapy clinics. This too is suppose to help in the resistant cases.

Yes, ultrasound can help this condition.