Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

why am i not losing weight with lipoden/B12 injections i

why am i not losing weight with lipoden/B12 injections? i am watching what i eat and have started walking up to 10 miles a week...
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

I would like to ask you a few questions so that I can understand your situation better.

How often are you getting these injections?

How much do you weigh and how tall are you?

How many minutes per day do you walk (30 min? an hour?)?

How many calories per day do you approximately confuse - if its not too much, please write down what your typical breakfast/lunch/dinner consists of.

Thanks,

Julia

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How often are you getting these injections? 1x per week

How much do you weigh and how tall are you? 203 5'8"

How many minutes per day do you walk (30 min? an hour?)? aprox 45 min 4x week

Breakfast - 5oz Plain Greek yogurt with tsp. of honey

Lunch - aprox. 6oz meat protein, with a salad (minimul dressing less than 1 tbsp.) or frozen green veggies

Snack - 1 oz nuts aprox 3x per week

Dinner - Salad with 4-6oz protein

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry, I should have also asked you if you ever (or rather recently) had your thyroid function checked?

Also, from what you wrote about your food diary, it sounds that you are not consuming almost any carbs, correct?

Do you take an appetite suppressant (such as Phentermine)?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I had my thryoid checked this past December, and the test came back normal

I try to keep a low carb diet, don't get me wrong, if i have fajitas, I will have 1 tortilla. I will also have sweets, but try not to over induldge and i keep it as minimal as possible...

No, i don't take appedite supressants.

Thanks for your reply.

Please allow me about 20 minutes and I will get back to you with my suggestions.

Thank you for your patience.

So it sounds that everything you are doing is correct. Lipoden shots (in our weight loss clinic they are called Lipoplex) are not guaranteed to help you with weight loss. There are some patients who love them and some (and actually most) do not feel any difference taking them. These shots are supposed to improve energy levels and speed up metabolism but there is no actual scientific prove that they do. They are healthy to take just because of the high concentration of Vitamin B in them but I would personally not expect too much weight loss just from using the shots.

In terms of your diet...with your current weight you should be consuming about 1300 to 1500 calories per day, especially on the days you are exercising. From what you wrote down, it sounds that you are not consuming 1500 cal/day. Not consuming enough calories for the body's need will cause muscle breakdown and more accumulation of fat because the body is tricked into thinking its going into starvation mode.

I would recommend that you add some carbs to your breakfast and lunch. Having a wheat toast or wheat English muffin is good. Also you can use healthy grains such as Buckwheat or Quonoa to make different recipes and add meat to them. Avoiding carbs at night is a good idea, you can continue doing that. You should also have more snacks (you only have nuts 3x/week). What I would recommend is having greek yogurt for a snack instead of having it for breakfast. For breakfast you can have veggie omelet with cheese and piece of toast, or egg with oatmeal, or english muffin with low-fat cream cheese and lox. Also you can buy some protein bars and have them as snacks if you get tired of yogurt. Fruit is ok to use for snacks as well - better to have either berries or grapefruit, the rest of fruit has a lot of sugar but it doesn't mean you cannot have an apple or an orange when you want it.

Your exercise routine is good, you need to exercise a minimum of 45 min 4x/week so you are doing the right thing.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is you need to make sure you are getting in at least 1300-1500 cal/day and adding a bit more carbs (have high protein diet is really bad for the cholesterol and is just unnecessary). Also, Lipoden shots are not a guarantee in assisting with weight loss.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss