Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

I WAS TAKING ADDERALL 20 MG. BID FOR 2 WEEKS. I STOPPED ON

I WAS TAKING ADDERALL 20 MG. BID FOR 2 WEEKS. I STOPPED ON SUNDAY. HOW LONG DOES IS IT DETECTED IN A DRUG SCREEN?
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am happy to help you today! Use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Are you talking about a urine drug screen?
I am having to go offline in a few minutes. So I will give you the answer regarding urine which is the most common drug test that is done.

Adderall has a half life of 10 hours in adults. That means in 10 hours half of the medication is eliminated. Another 10 hours and 75% is eliminated, the last 10 hours it is 100% eliminated.

So in other words after 30 hours of the last dose, it would be eliminated from your system. We routinely say that about 2-4 days it is not detected in the urine.

I hope that answers your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have had conflicting answers. I thought every 10 hours 1/2 of the drug is excreted. Someone had said that I had to wait 3 weeks is this true?
Half life means that every 10 hours 1/2 of the drug is excreted. Then in another 10 hours 1/2 of what was left was excreted or now 75% of the drug. and the pattern continues till it is out of your system. About 4 half lives or in this case 40 hours. So we usually say it is not detectable after 2-4 days for amphetamines.

This can vary from individual to individual so that is why the time frame is varied.