Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

i have a pain in my lower left side, which hurts when I sit

i have a pain in my lower left side, which hurts when I sit or bend or sore when I press on it . I have had a full hysterectomy. I have had diverculitis before, but higher up, but that is what it feels like. Could it be that low?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.

How long have you had the pain?
Any fever?
Change in bowel habits?
How low is the pain?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have had the pai for 4 days> Seems to get a little worse in the evenings. NO change in bowel habits......It started very low, but seems to have spread toward the middle
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying,

It is very possible to have diverticulitis in the lower left abdomen.
As you probably know, diverticulitis develops in one of the pockets of the sigmoid colon. Usually, a person has several of these pockets in the sigmoid, some higher and some lower. The location of the pain will depend on where the inflammation/infection is.

Because you are feeling pain similar to your previous episode of diverticulitis, this also increases the likelihood that this is another episode.

I recommend that you see your GP today so that you can start the proper treatment (antibiotics). Stick with clear liquids until you are able to see him/her.

I hope that you feel better soon,

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisified with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!