Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

Hi, Could anyone tell me if flying with a abdominal hernia

Hi, Could anyone tell me if flying with a abdominal hernia is safe? its about the size of a egg. i have seen the specialist and as it was not causing me too much pain they made me an appointment for 6 months later and told me i will need surgery at some point and they also told me what to look out for with strangulation etc. i check most days that i am able to push it back in and its not strangulating and it does not cause me too much pain.

As you do not have symptoms now, it will not cause problem.

In flying, the cabin pressure is well maintained, it will not cause any effect on hernia.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX just abit concerned to if it would cause issues it is stuck out permanetly but it pushes in and is not stuck and i am back in 9 weeks at hospital. i have also took special travel cover declaring the hernia so i am covered. so all should be fine then. thanks
When it goes easily inside, it should not cause an issue during flight.

Try to avoid constipation.

Taking plenty of fluid, fibers, fresh fruits or vegetables, beans, bran, whole grains etc. are good.

Regular exercise or walking helps in bowel movement.