Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

I had a blood test done and my vitamin D levels were very low.

I had a blood test done and my vitamin D levels were very low. I was told to take 2000IU/day. I took it for 2 days. The third day, I could not wake up. I slept until nearly noon, which I never do, and then slept in my chair most of the rest of the day. I haven't changed anything else, or done anything different from what I usually do. Could vitamin D cause this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am happy to help you today! Use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

That is not a usual side effect from Vit D at all. I have several patients on it and have not had anyone have the same experience. Now that being said. Vit D helps your calcium to absorb and calcium can actually help you sleep better. So there may be a small connection there.

Try to take 1,000 units for 1 week then go up to the 2,000 units and see if that makes a difference. OF course let your provider know that you are experiencing this effect as well.