Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

I have an upper thigh pain when I lift my leg; sit and try

I have an upper thigh pain when I lift my leg; sit and try to get up; I have been limping for a month. I play tennis and olf and have reduced my activity to few days a week. I wera a neoprene brace on my upper left thigh when I play tennis and golf; It helps some to keep the pain inimal. This s a shooting pain do the front of the thigh. I have had no back pain.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Is this upper thigh pain mostly on the front and outside of the thigh -- that does not go past the knee?

Is it ever on the back of the thigh?

Are you overweight?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The pain is directly in the center/ front of upper thigh never on the side; or back of my leg.. I am not overweight/ 5'2" 105 lbs. I Was very active prior to this; walking everyday in addition to tennis and golf. I workout using weights 3x a week.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

This could be inflammation of a certain nerve in the upper thigh:

and the fact that this is not really on the side or back of the leg, makes this nerve irritation a bit more likely.

It could also be an issue with a "pinched" nerve in the back, which can also cause distinct pains in the leg.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The fact that I can't lift my left leg without this sharp pain; If it is a nerve what are my options to remedy it. I have had this for a month and have a noticeable limp?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Well, taking off anything that puts pressure on the upper thigh is important. (Tight belts, tight pants, etc).

Some people respond to steroid injections as well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I seem to have less pain when I where my neoprene brace wrapped around my upper thigh during tennis. Do you think it's just a nerve pain that doesn't allow me to lift my leg when getting in my SUV? or putting on my pants etc. when getting dressed? Just wondering how this goes away; or do you recommend a Dr. specialty I should go to?

I appreciate your help with this- a month is long time and I live in a community of much older people who all run to Drs. everyday and can't believe I haven't been to one yet.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
The specific area of the pain seems to suggest a nerve, since if it was just muscle, it probably would be a more diffuse discomfort, that would have gotten better by now.

If this is what it is, the nerve inflammation improves with time, as long as the compression is not continued, and seeing your doctor or a neurologist would be best in the evaluation of this.