Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

I was told that my heart beat goes into Afib What does that

I was told that my heart beat goes into Afib? What does that mean and how can I fix it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am happy to help you today! Use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

A fib stands for atrial fibrillation. Basically means that the electrical part of your heart beat is not starting correctly. Instead of the beat initiating from one place it initiates from several places to start the heart beat.

This is not an uncommon thing actually. It can be controlled with medication but sometimes we use cardioversion to "restart" the heart beat. Cardioversion means that we "shock" the heart back into a normal rhythm.

I hope this helps with answering your question. Please ask if you need me to explain anything further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Should I be doing anything about this condition? Should I see a cardio person? Should I mention this to my primary physician?
I apologize that it took me a little while to respond to you. Thanks for your patience.

Your primary care physician would be the place to start. I am assuming that an EKG was done since that is the only way to tell what your heart is doing. Most primary care physicians can handle this but many also refer to a cardiologist to manage it as well. It truly depends on all of your health history.

It is something that needs to be addressed fairly soon. So I encourage you to make an appointment to discuss it with him so he can determine the cause. He will need to do some labs and check your thyroid since that can be a factor with atrial fib.

Good question!
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.