Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

What could cause mucus strings in urine that look like they

What could cause mucus strings in urine that look like they are tinged with blood ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
So, do you have blood in your urine?
Does this occur all the time?
Do you have any pain?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello:

I have noticed it a few times prior. I do not have any pain, but I do have an almost bloated feeling lately in my lower abdomen from time to time.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Since you have some blood - I would recommend getting an Urinanalysis along with a urine culture - you might just have a urinary tract infection.
If there is no infection found, then I would recommend a Cystoscopy (a camera in the bladder to check for the cause of the bleeding) -
And, since you are having some bloating - then you need to have a pelvic exam along with a pelvic ultrasound to check your ovaries too -
I hope this helps, if you have more questions, please ask.
Please click on ACCEPT, thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Why would I need an ultr-sound of my ovaries ?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
The reason for the ovaries - is because you are feeling 'bloated' and this will just ensure that you are not having any ovarian problems such as a cyst.
Please click on ACCEPT, thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have had a bladder infection many years ago, but I never had blood or bloat, just an increased frequency in urination. Is it common to have the "yarn-like bloody fibers" with a urine infection ?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
These bloody fibers could be blood clotting - from an infection - and you might even have a stone in your urinary tract too.
So, the testing I suggested would be helpful for you to figure out what exactly is causing this.
I hope this helps, if you have additional question, please ask.
Please click on ACCEPT, thank you.