Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Why does my jaw pop when I yawn or open my mouth It hurts

Why does my jaw pop when I yawn or open my mouth ? It hurts in my ear.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

HI,

Thanks for your question.

Since how long you have this?

Do you have pain on pressing the ear tragus from outside?

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I Have had this about 2 months. Sometimes it is worse than others. What is tragus?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
tragus is the small slit which is present just outside the ear canal opening, the one which we press when we hear loud sounds
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks for your input.

If you donot have pain on pressing the ear from outside , the cause of your problem is temporomandibular joint(Jaw joint), you feel pain in ear because this joint is present just infront of ear canal and when you yawn or open your mouth the jaw joint press the external audiotory canal and this causes a referred pain in the ear.

The cause of jaw problem can be problem with the muscles attached to joint , in ligaments or in the bone itself.

You need to see a maxillofacial surgeon for this and need to have a jointr xray and further treatment can be done accordingly.

You can take OTC tab Aleve twice daily and hopefully this will give you much relief.

I hope this helps you.

I wish that you get well soon.

Please ask more if you want or click ACCEPT if you agree.

Regards

Dr Hasan

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery