TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.

In 1954 I contracted polio, has any new research been done

In 1954 I contracted polio, has any new research been done in relation to muscle wastage and strengthening of those muscles effected? Have any reports of reoccurances in later years been made? What can I do to help my right leg which has a slight foot drop and has thinned muscles?
Category: Health
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately at this point there is really nothing new that can be done. The damage is from irreversible injury to the nerve roots ( anterior horn cells)- The muscle weaken due to nerve injury in the spinal cord .

Some people actually do get "post-polio" syndrome with new and progressive weakness and pain in the area many years later , after years of compensating use.

There is really no proven effective therapy for post-polio weakness and pain- but some neurologists may consider experimental treatments- none of which are known to be very useful now.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.