TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.

is there anything preventative that you can do to stave off

is there anything preventative that you can do to stave off kidney stones from dropping ? I've had them twice and am familiar with the way my body feels prior to them dropping. I've been dehydrated ystrdy and today and can't get enough water and past few hours, little darts of dull aching in my lower back

The most important thing is to be adequately hydrated. It is not uncommon that when you get dehydrated the stones become more symptomatic.

Other recommendations vary and depend on the type of stone you have- uric acid, phosphate, oxalate etc....

But the most common recommendation is to limit salt intake. If it is an oxalate stone, a low oxalate diet may help as well.

Finally, there are some medications that may help pass kidney stones- like Flomax ( helps pass small stones) or calcium blockers, or diuretics ( which help prevent formation)- and may be worth discussing with your doctor.

Most important thing I would advise now if drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.