Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I would like to no why my heart feels like its jumping its

I would like to no why my heart feels like its jumping its been happening for about 4 months 1 have seen my doc he said my heart is fine and gave me gastro capsules.The jumping movements are no better they seem to be getting worse.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.

Did your doctor do an ekg or any other heart testing?
How long does the jumping sensation last?
Do you have any other symptoms when the jumping occurs?
Do you drink alcohol or caffeine? Smoke?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No he just listened to my heart.The jumps only last about a second some jumps are stronger than others.I drink two mugs of coffee a day. I smoke two or three menthol cigs a day ands most nights i have two or three glasses of white wine.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying,

I understand how distressing heart palpitations can feel.

First I want to reassure you that it seems you are not having any symptoms that suggest that your palpitations are due to an underlying problem with your heart. Heart palpitations are concerning if associated with dizziness, shortness of breath and/or chest pain.

Most of the time, palpitations are simply benign extra beats. They are not associated with underlying heart disease or any structural abnormalities of the heart. It is unknown why they occur but can be worsened by stress, caffeine, alcohol, smoking and cold medications.

If you can cut down the caffeine intake, smoking and decrease the alcohol to one per day, this may decrease the frequency of your palpitations.
The recommended daily intake of alcohol for women is one alcoholic drink per day.

I would consider asking your doctor to do an EKG and also have your bloodwork checked for an overactive thyroid (which can also cause palpitations) as well as anemia.

A 24 hour holter monitor (where you wear something similar to a portable ekg for 24 hours) can also be done. This would document exactly what is occurring when you experience the palpitations.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!