A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

In my hematology test both MCH and MO% were high. MPV was low.

Customer Question

In my hematology test both MCH and MO% were high. MPV was low. What does this mean.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Can you please post the numbers and the reference ranges (what the lab considers to be normal)? Reference ranges should be right next to the numbers.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
MCH was 31.3 range 27.0-31.0
MO% was 11 range 02-09
MPV was 7.3 range 7.4-10.4
also Anion Gap was 13.30 range was 8.0-12.0
Thanks Carol (kiki)
Age 58

Monocytes (MO) are one of the five types of white blood cells. If one is down, others must be up in order to always equal 100%. Neither the percentage nor MCH nor MO%are likely to be of any serious consequence, especially since they are just a hair out of your lab's range. Usually MCV and MCH mirror each other. A third of people are outside the range either on the high or low side. MPV tells about the age of red blood cells. Young ones are larger than older ones so give a higher number.

Anion gap is a calculated number that takes into account sodium, chloride and bicarbonate ions. It gives information about the acid-base balance in the body. Conditions that affect it are diabetes, alcohol intake, some vitamin deficiencies that affect proper metabolism, dehydration, starvation, kidney problems, some medications (aspirin for instance) and eating some toxic chemicals like methanol.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So does a hight anion gap mean that I'm more acid or base?
Thanks again

Anion gap is higher where there are excessive acids due to too much acid production or too little removal of acids.