Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

My neighbor indicates she is ignorant about most things, and

Customer Question

My neighbor indicates she is ignorant about most things,
and for some reason has great influence on people, or
is in a position where others get mistreated in order
for her to have a better lifestyle or look superior. I
don't know if it is coincidental.

She then says something that demonstrates great
knowledge and experience, she also does not trust
people. Is this a sign of mental illness?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health.

I am not quite clear about what you are describing.

If you mean that this person states that she has 'great influence' over people, but the truth is that she does not, then this could be a sign of grandiosity, which occurs during hypomania or mania in some cases of Bipolar illness.

But from just what you have said, the diagnosis of Bipolar could not be given, a much more indepth evaluation would be required.

Please reply to this post if you have questions so that we can assist you until you are satisfied with your answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX wanted to know if the person in the relationship or

interaction wants to be seen as or lets you know they are

ignorant, then shows knowledge later, if that person is more

suspect of mental illness or bipolar or something?

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 3 years ago.

There might be many reasons that a person would act as if they are ignorant, when in fact they are more knowledgeable. It is not necessarily a sign of mental illness. They could have low self esteem, and not trust that they are knowledgeable. For example if they grew up the youngest in a family they might have always been assumed to have less knowledge thus are used to been treated as less knowledgeable, so today as an adult they continue to be comfortable in the role of being 'ignorant' when in fact they have grown to be intelligent.

Now if you are noticing a marked difference in personality at one time versus another, this could indicate a mood disorder or other problem, but there would need to be more signs and further characteristics thought than this to be categorized as mentally ill.

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS