Nurse Mandy
Nurse Mandy, Nurse
Experience:  LPN since 2000. Experience in Orthopedics, Dermatology, Cardiology & Ear Nose and Throat

trace of blood and leukocytes in my urine..UTI...ultrasound

Customer Question

For the past 3 weeks (do not know how long this has been going on) I have had a trace of blood and leukocytes in my urine. I do not have an UTI. I went for a renal ultrasound and cystology which showed everything was just fine. I asked about the urine and my Urologist sent it out for abnormal cells. What could this be? Cancer
I do take aspirin and effient everyday along with bp meds and lipitor. Could one of these drugs be the culprit?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Mandy replied 5 years ago.

Hello Customer,

My name is Mandy. Thank you for using Just Answer.

I had similar symptoms a few years ago. I had blood in my urine but not bladder or UTI. They were afraid it might be bladder cancer. After several tests they decided that it was very small kidney stones that I was passing. I could not feel them due to the size but they were cutting the ureter causing blood.

A couple of tests that you may want to as your physician to do First one is a cystoscopy. This is a test where they use a cystoscope (basically a telescope/microscope) to run up your urethra into your bladder to look at the structures. They will be able to see any abnormalities that may be causing the blood. It is done with local anesthetic so you will not have to be put to sleep and most of the time done in an exam room at the urologists office. The second test would be an abdominal x-ray to look for any kidney stones.

Yes, unfortunately you could have cancer that is always a concern when there is blood in the urine without a UTI/bladder infection. The good news is that the renal ultrasound was normal.

I doubt the medication is causing the blood but if you have a tear in your urethra or some kind of growth that is bleeding, the aspirin could make it bleed more easily.

I truly hope you find out your diagnosis soon and wish you the best of luck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you Mandy:

However, my Dr. answered before you did. The results of the urninalysis were negative. I had already had a cystocopy and renal ultrasound which were also

normal. He said this just may be the way I am and don't be surprised if in the

future these tests have to be repeated.

Glad to hear all your tests have come back normal, that is wonderful news. I am sure you are relieved.