Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

My boyfriend is 49 over weight and has congestive heart failure.

My boyfriend is 49 over weight and has congestive heart failure. He is suffering from pneomonia in is right lung. How dangerous is this to his condition?

Hello and thank you for your question,

Although pneumonia can be dangerous it is unlikely to be life-threatening especially if he doesn't have lung disease and if he is not a smoker.

If he is being treated with antibiotics (especially on the outpatient basis, not in the hospital), he is going to recover in about 1 week. If he is hospitalized for pneumonia, treatment may take a bit longer with IV antibiotics but again, recovery is usually 100%.

His heart condition should not interfere or have any negative effects on the pneumonia treatment.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please click 'accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

I wish your boyfriend a speedy recovery.