Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

My son who is 15 is undergoing chemo since Aug 2010. The problem

Customer Question

My son who is 15 is undergoing chemo since Aug 2010. The problem he has is the constant nausea. Not during the chemo, but every single day. This causes him not not eat nor tolerate the feeds he gets thru his g-tube. His doctors keep him on Ativan, it hasnt worked, yet they still keep him on it. Zofran doesnt work nor can he take phenagren due to an interaction from his other medication. I have tried researching, getting on his doctors, going as far as risk management, the ethics committee where hes treated and NO ONE is trying to resolve this. He is 5'8 and down to 81 pounds now. We use ginger, peppermint, nothing works
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.

mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

Sorry to hear about your son's condition.

mysticdoc :

in this case a strong steroid named Dexamethasone can be used.

mysticdoc :

dexamethasone is very effective in controlling intractable nausea.

Customer :

isnt that Decatron? Becasue he is allergic to the agents in that medicine

mysticdoc :

yes, --ok

mysticdoc :

the next choice will be Palonosetron ( Aloxi)

mysticdoc :

this is very powerful agent, an improvement over zofran.

Customer :

I have never heard of that...Zofran never worked for him anyway. Do you know if that interacts with prozac? That is where we seem to have the problems everything interacts with it. They had him on phenagren n prozac for 6 months and Just this past month figured it was interacting, they never do their homework and now I am having to do all this research becasue they just arent helping him

mysticdoc :

no it does not interact with prozac.

mysticdoc :

this is very safe

mysticdoc :

ask your doctor about this medication.

Customer :

okay i will. One thing I just looked up, is that it is used kind of like Emend, before during and after chemo for a few days. When he gets his cisplatian the emend works fine, that is the only time he is fine, but as soon as we get home its in full force again. Is this something he could to take continuously

mysticdoc :

yes, he can take this continuously.

mysticdoc :

as long as it is used before the vomiting episode.

Customer :

the vomiting is very rare usually a couple days after chemo, the problem is the constant 24 hour nausea

mysticdoc :

Another alternative will be to use granisetron transderma patch.

mysticdoc :

this works for upto 7 days.

mysticdoc :

the brand name is Sanuoso.

mysticdoc :

ok good luck.

mysticdoc :

i need to go now.

mysticdoc :

ypu may post reply.

mysticdoc :

i will followup an hour or so later.

Customer :

I just went thru my paperwork and they do administer the Palonosetron during his 3day chemo, but will not give me a prescription for it. They say they only give it during the chemo.

Customer :

And the granisetron transderma patch. Sancoso, can only be worn for 7 days max. So I am back at square 1.

Customer :

I think I would need an Oncologist to help with this further can you please pass this along to that expert, I will be waiting, as this is very important given my son's on going situation