A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

10mg but my doctor reduced it because my blood pressure was falling

I'm a 48 year old femail who takes 5mg of ramaipril (recently reduced from 10 mg) and 12.5 mg of toperlol for high blood pressure. I have been on the 5mg dose for a month now and previously was on 10mg but my doctor reduced it because my blood pressure was falling very low has I had recently lost about 20 pounds. My blood pressure readings seemed to be pretty good up until late last week when I returned from vacation. Since then my readings have been averaging from 134/80 - 156/90. Should I go back on the 10 mg of Ramipril. What could be making my blood pressure become so high?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. The increase may be just stress, or let-down from returning to the rat race after vacation. It can also be less attention to low salt diet and other healthy habits. I would not alter the dosage without speaking to the physician who prescribed the medication. A phone call may be all that is necessary.