Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

ROTATOR CUFF REPAIR, THERE ARE DEBRIS IN SHOULDER AREA WERE..BACK..ARM

I WILL BE HAVING SURGERY ON 3/21 FOR A ROTATOR CUFF REPAIR, THERE ARE DEBRIS IN SHOULDER AREA WERE IT WAS FRACTURED BACK ON 9/21/2010 AND RE POSTION COLLAR BONE.I DID HAVE 4 MONTHS OF P/T STILL CANT RAISE ARM OVER MY HEAD.YESTERDAY AT PRE ADMISSION I SPOKE WITH ANESTHEALOIST AND HE EXPLAINED TO ME WHAT WOULD BE DONE. HE SAID I WOULD RECEIVE A NEEDLE IN MY NECK FOR A NERVE BLOCK AND GENERAL ANASTHTIA.I AM WORRY ABOUT THE NEEDLE? HE SAID I WILL BE NUMB FOR ABOUT 8 HOURS LONG ENOUGH TO GET HOME AND HAVE PAIN PILLS FILLED AND IN MY SYSTEM BEFORE IT WEARS OFF. HOW SAFE IS THIS NEEDLE AND WHAT ARE THE RISK? IM NOT FEELING GOOD ABOUT THIS PROCEDURE. THE DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT HE IS NOT SURE WHAT HE WILL FIND WHEN HE GOES IN.SINCE 1ST DOCTOR MISDIAOGSED ME. AND SO MUCH TIME HAS PASSED. I NOW HAVE A EXCELLENT DOCTOR THAT IS A TEAM DOCTOR FOR A MAJOR BASEBALL TEAM.
THANKS
LINDA
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer health.

Most likely you will first have an IV. You may be familiar with this - a very small needle is placed into a vein. This way if you are extremely nervous, anti-anxiety medication can be given to you before the needle is inserted in your spine to give you a nerve block. The skin on the spine will first be numbed. Then you will not feel the needle as injects the numbing medication to the nerve root, which will cause you to be unable to feel any pain in the area of your shoulder.

Then indeed, you will be able to take a dose of the oral pain medication before the nerve block wears off.

The doctor will use x-ray to see where to inject the needle into your neck. There is only a very slight chance that he will have to take it out and put another back in, but he is required to warn you about that, just in the rare case that it occurs.

Side effects very rarely could include dizziness or headache after the procedure.

It is important for you to think positively about the procedure and to visualize it going well. Studies have shown that people who are highly anxious before a procedure are more likely to have negative outcomes (side -effects) than those that are able to control their anxiety before hand. So this means it is important for you to take slow deep breaths and be clear in your mind that this is a positive procedure that is going to help you.

Please reply to this post if you have questions so that we can assist you until you are satisfied with your answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I ALREADY TAKE 4 XANAX A DAY 1.0 FOR ANEXITY SO I DONT KNOW WHAT MORE I CAN DO I AM ALSO ON ZOLOFT I AM WORRYING ABOUT IT BECUASE ITS SO CLOSE TO MY HEAD AND I HAVE ALREADY NOT BEEN ABLE TO USE MY ARM FOR MONTHS
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 3 years ago.

They can still provide you more medication if needed at the time of the procedure if you are too worried. You need to take control of your worry and do techniques to stop your worry.

Study this: "How to stop worry":

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_self_help.htm

The doctors know what they are doing and will not do anything that is of greater risk to hurt you than to harm you.

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS