Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn

About a month ago, I had an allergic reaction to Bactrim. I

Customer Question

About a month ago, I had an allergic reaction to Bactrim. I broke out in a severe rash and was achy and feverish for a week before they would give me some prednisone, which cleared it up quickly. Although the rash is gone, I am still experiencing achiness in my back and rib areas. Could this be a lingering effect from the allergic reaction? And is there a possiblitiy of the rash returning as a seconday infection? I still have some spots and small scars from the first outbreak.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 5 years ago.

What you are experiencing now is not from the Bactrim.

Even delayed allergic reactions occur in several days rather than several weeks.

I think you should have your urine tested to make sure you aren't developing a kidney infection.

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Could the kidney infection be relative to the sulfa allergy? my wife says my eyes have been somewhat red, too.

what I was concerned about is incomplete treatment of the urinary infection due to the allergic reaction..meaning you still had a UTI because you couldn't take the bactrim long enough.

Another thing to consider as a possibility is that of shingles, which some times pops up with an antibiotic...if that's the case usually there is a painful area followed by a rash.

I'm happy to answer follow up questions as needed, but remember to click 'accept'.

thank you so much.

Dr. Pfeiffer