A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

What do you think is wrong if my transvaginal ultrasound and

What do you think is wrong if my transvaginal ultrasound and pelvic showed a slightly enlarged uterus and uterine lining on the high end of normal for thickness? I am 48 with long heavy periods that come every other month
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. There is no way to tell what is wrong, or even if anything is wrong. Some possibilities are hormonal changes (such as peri-menopause), fibroids, or adenomyosis (a condition in which the uterine lining - the endometrium - grows into the wall of the uterus), and cancer, although the latter is far less likely. A biopsy would need to be done to determine if it is cancer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Now that I review it, the uterus was normal size...the lining thickness was on the high end of normal. No masses, etc... I am just a horrible worry wart.

Try not to worry. Endometrial thickness is fairly common. The endometrium is the lining of the uterus. It can build up and cause bleeding problems. A D & C is one way of eliminating it if it is too thick.