Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

blood test and I was told that I have slightly large red blood cells

Customer Question

I recently had a blood test and I was told that I have slightly large red blood cells, but it was nothing to be concerned about. Is there anything you can add to that (causes, consequences, etc.)?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just answer!
I would like to get more information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Did they provide you with the test report? What kind of diagnosis they were considering?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have the test report. Slightly enlarged red blood cells were detected in a routine blood test as part of my annual physical. My doctor was not concerned and said I was in very good health.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the information. It seems like your RBC size was just above the cut off value and rest of the blood works were normal, that is why your doctor was not much concerned about it. Just for your information, macrocytosis is the term used to describe RBC that are larger than normal. Most commonly it is found on routine blood test and in many cases do not cause any symptoms. There are many possible cause for macrocytosis some of them are Vit. B12 deficiency, folate deficiency, liver disease, alcoholism, medication side effects etc. Treatment depends upon the actual cause of the problem. If you were not evaluated for all these problems, then you can have one now to see if there is anything significance. I would also suggest you to have blood test again after few months to see the size of your red blood cells (RBC).

Press "ACCEPT" button if my answer was useful to you. This is the only way I can get credit for my time with you. I am still available to help you if you have any follow up question.
Thank you for visiting just answer.