Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My doctor is talking about vein stripping as a treatment for edema

My doctor is talking about vein stripping as a treatment for edema. What are the risks of such treatment? Will I lose function in my curculatory system as a result?

HI,

Thanks for your question.

Vein stripping procedure doesnot affect your circulatory system because its done for the superficial veins and the deep veins are still functional. The veins being stripped are already incompetent and doing nothing for your circulatory system so removing then will help you rather than harrming you , in the mean time your deep veins and normal superficial veins which are competent will remain functional and will keep your circulatory system in a better way.

more superior and minimal invasive procedures are there for such veins which you can also discuss with your doctors they include sclerotherapy and laser surgery. In sclerotherapy a solution is used to close small- and medium-sized varicose veins. The physician injects the veins with a solution that causes a scar to form in the vein, which forces the vein to close and the blood to reroute through healthier veins. The procedure does not require anesthesia and can be done as an outpatient procedure. In laser surgery, heat from a laser beam destroys the targeted veins without harming the skin.

I hope this helps you.

Please click ACCEPT if i have answered your question

Regards

Dr Hasan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. That is helpful and comforting. And the procedure being talked about is either the laser therapy or the chemical solution, rather than directly removing the vein. But it's all new to me and having more information is useful.

You are most welcome

I am glad to know that you got help from the answer.

Good luck