A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

What would the results of a transvaginal ultrasound and pelvic

Customer Question

What would the results of a transvaginal ultrasound and pelvic ultrasound and pelvic exam be if one has uterine cancer? What do they see?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. All you "see" are masses that shouldn't be there. Whether they are malignant or not cannot be determined by any of these tests. That requires a biopsy.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They didn't mention masses...just a slightly enlarged uterus and thickening of the uterus is on the high end of normal. I am scared to death

They will probably do a biopsy to determine if there is anything really wrong or not. Thickening and enlargement can be from hormonal changes, fibroids, or adenomyosis (when the lining of the uterus grows into the uterine wall), for instance. It doesn't have to mean cancer. Ultrasound can usually tell the difference between fibroids and adenomyosis.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But it can mean cancer even if there were no masses?w

Yes, it can mean cancer, but that can only be confirmed with a biopsy.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Then why did you say originally that they would see a mass if it were cancer?

I didn't. I said that all you can "see" are masses that would be suspicious. Of course you also see enlargements, if ovaries are present or absent, and other geographical landmarks.. However, you cannot tell from an ultrasound if any irregularity seen is cancer or not. It takes a biopsy to diagnose cancer. Your question concerned seeing cancer in an ultrasound. You can't.