Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

My boyfreind keeps having really bad chest pains.hes been

My boyfreind keeps having really bad chest pains.he's been to the hospital and had tests done and they can't find a hurts when he laughs or coughs really happens to him every few months and only lasts a few days...this time its lasted a few weeks..any ideas to what it is..severe heart problems do run in his family
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
A likely cause of his symptoms is costochondritis which is the inflammation of ribs and cartilage in the chest. Another likely cause is Pleurisy, which is the inflammation of thin tissue covering the lungs. Treatment for these conditions is supportive with analgesics and rest. He should be eating a healthy well balanced diet and getting regular light exercise. Taking Ibuprofen 600 mg every 6 hours during acute episodes can help with pain. Heart disease is also possible, but since he has tests done to rule that out and his symptoms come and go, musculoskeletal problems like the ones mentioned above are more likely. A consultation with pain specialist is also recommended.