Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I have this weird symptom where when I move my right thumb

I have this weird symptom where when I move my right thumb in a left and right motion, like in writing and texting my left ear makes a popping sound. This has been happening for about 2 years and really becoming a nuisance. Any ideas what can be causing this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 5 years ago.

Hi there

Just to clarify what you are asking, are you saying that when you move your right thumb in a left to right motion it causes your left ear to make a popping sound?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi there and thanks for the reply

Is there a chance you could have arthritis in your hand?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
maybe. I actually have been having problems with the hand. But, why would that affect my ear?
Hi there

Perhaps your possible arthritis is causing your hand to pop and you are noticing it in your ear. Does your hand hurt? Do you have ear pain?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No ear pain, just irritating popping and slight pressure. My ears always seem to be clogged. I am scheduled for a CT of my sinus passages tomorrow.
Ok thanks. I think the sinus issues might be playing some role in the ears popping as they can put pressure on the ears if the sinuses are congested (either from allergies, polyps, or other issues). Not sure how the hand correlates if any...might be a coincidence. There's no medical reason why your thumb will/would affect your ear. If anything, I think you are just super conscious of the popping and you are correlating it with each other. I will say that if you are having clogged ears, they will intermittently pop and could do it often enough that they may pop at the same time you notice other things pop such as head leg movements, foot movement, even eye movements!

Good luck with your CT tomorrow and I hope they can find out what is causing your sinus issues!