Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

What if I dont exercise, what happens to my distal heart disease

What if I don't exercise, what happens to my distal heart disease

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health for your question.

If you do not exercise at all, your heart muscle, and all the muscle of the body will gradually weaken. Muscle of both types requires exercise (and for the heart this means sustained exercise at a slightly higher rate than your resting heart rate, called aerobic exercise). Of course with your history you need to consult your doctor to obtain an exercise program that is gradual. Cardiac rehab would be very helpful if you have not had this in the past. They can teach you to monitor your heart rate and how to know when and how much to exercise.

Please reply to this post if you have questions or need clarification so that we can assist you until you are satisfied with your answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Husband does not want to walk, but is now thinking about a Sr. Aerobics class. I am only 53 and want him as healthy as possible. I worry about future disability. He smoked a pipe for 60 years but has quit. He may also have the beginnings of emphysema. Thanks

Thank you! Here is a source for you that may provide some tips to get him started:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help. I really like the website. My husband went to QiGong today and plans to try a senior fitness class tomorrow. I hope he will keep it up.
I'm so glad to hear that! Thank you for providing me that news, it is so nice to hear!