A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I do if I have been unable to tolerate statins in the past

I had a cardiac score done and it was 110. Is that high? What can I do if I have been unable to tolerate statins in the past? Are there any new ones that are easier to tolerate?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Can you provide some more information about what kind of a test this was? Was it a CT scan for cardiac calcium or some other test?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was a cardiac calcium CT

Thanks for the clarification. A level of 110 is considered moderate evidence of coronary artery disease. The following table may help you put it into perspective:

Calcium Score

Presence of CAD

0

No evidence of CAD

1-10

Minimal evidence of CAD

11-100

Mild evidence of CAD

101-400

Moderate evidence of CAD

Over 400

Extensive evidence of CAD

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is the commom recommended next step for a patient with moderate evidence of CAD?

Lifestyle changes to lower cholesterol such as low fat diet, with lots of fresh vegetables and fruits, lean protein and whole grains and brisk exercise 30-60 minutes a day most days of the week is the universal recommendation. Depending on what the cholesterol profile looks like, statins and other cholesterol-lowering drugs may be added to the lifestyle changes.