Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years

nose area can be a dangerous area and can lead..brain..ingrown hair

I just noticed a couple of days ago that I have a lump up inside the end of my nose. It does not hurt but I saw on a doctor TV show that the nose area can be a dangerous area and can lead to an infection in the brain. I think it may just be an ingrown hair but I do not know if it will go away or if there is anything I can do to clear it up. I do not want to go to a doctor for something so stupid. Should I be worried &/or what should I do? Thank you.

Carmen Gibney
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 5 years ago.

Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info.

I do recommend you have your doctor check you for a nasal polyp (some can be cancerous) and/or a septal hematoma (a small blood collection that can be drained). Be sure to take this seriously, do not blow it off.

Dr. E