Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years
13500761

My 11-year-old son frequently experiences extremely painful

My 11-year-old son frequently experiences extremely painful inflamed papillae on his tongue. A flareup will last anywhere from a few days to over a week. It may be related to his diet, but so far the food diary has not revealed a pattern. He takes a lysine supplement that seems to help, but when he has a flareup the pain is difficult to control. We have tried Peroxycare rinse, salt water rinse, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, peroxide/water rinse. Any thoughts or suggestions on what this is and how to control the pain would be appreciated.

Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info.

This remedy is simple:

10 mL of maalox mixed with 10mL of benadryl solution. Swish two minutes and spit out, do this four times a day.

Wishing him lots of comfort!

DR. E