Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

I am 43 years old , 7 weeks pregnant and I am was taking 30mg

I am 43 years old , 7 weeks pregnant and I am was taking 30mg of celexa and half a tablet of o.5 mg of rivotril in the afternoon and one tablet of 0.5 mg of rivotril at 10 pm....my Doctor chage the dosis to 10mg of celexa and half a tablet of rivotril at 10 pm.
I am concern of the baby because of what I have read in the internet and I have problems breathing right now, I am very tired but is like I don't get enough air...the doctor says it might be because of the reduction of the medicine. What i do????I am concern
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 3 years ago.
Celexa is pregnancy category C, which means it has shown some adverse effects to the fetus in animal studies, although controlled studies in humans are not available. So it should only be taken in pregnancy if benefits outweigh the risks.

As for Rivotril, it should be generally be avoided in pregnancy. It is pregnancy category D, and there have been studies that show it can cause birth defects in babies born to pregnant mothers taking Rivotril. It can sometimes be prescribed to pregnant mothers when there is a risk of serious withdrawal effects, or during late pregnancy. I would suggest talking to your doctors about stopping this medication.

As for breathing symptoms, these can be due to change in medication dose or anxiety disorder, and I would not be too concerned about these.
Regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. How can I stop it? just right away? I am using it to sleep ...I just call the doctor and tell him I don't want to take it anymore? will I suffer from more side effects? will they go away soon? when i am breathing hard am I getting enough oxygen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Doctor did you received my last question?
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 3 years ago.
I would suggest calling your doctor and letting him know that you want to quit this medication. He will advise you if you can stop right away or if you need a gradual taper over few days. If you have been taking this for a very long time, some withdrawal effects may occur for 1-2 weeks.

Breathing symptoms are unlikely to be causing any oxygen deprivation. So I would not be too concerned about this. But if you have any chest pain along with shortness of breath, you should get in touch with your doctor.
Regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just call him and he said to take one quart of a pill for one more week and the stop it, will I still be harming the baby?
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 3 years ago.
I agree with your doctor. Taking small dose for one more week, is unlikely to cause any harm to the fetus, and may be safer option than stopping it abruptly right away.
Regards.
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.