Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years

Is vitamin E toxic and/or are there longterm adverse effects

Customer Question

Is vitamin E toxic and/or are there longterm adverse effects to consuminng 800IU daily for a 14 yr old boy. Product is call OSCOM. It was designed to eliminate Osgood-Schlatters. It also contains small dosage of selenium. (Gel Capsule)

Bill Corp
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 5 years ago.

Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info.

There are studies that show that Vitamin E actually increases risk of death from a cardiac disease - no studies have been done on children. I would recommend stopping the Vitamin E - it is not proven to work and may actually make your child sick.

Dr. E

PS Osgood disease usually improves after stopping the activity that caused the fractures.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr. We took our son to his pediatrician. The Dr. examined the label and said it would present no problem. However he was skeptical re. vitamin e as a cure. Check out when you have a chance.