Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years

i have chronic refractory ITP -respond very well to steroids,

Customer Question

i have chronic refractory ITP -respond very well to steroids, but relapses when steroids ar tapered off.
Is my understanding of the heirarchy of further treatments to get relief over an extende period correct?
1. Plasma Exchange
2. Rituximab
We have ruled out IvIg at this stage when I have had this problem already since Nov. 2010 todate.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 5 years ago.

Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info.

Removal of the spleen is the most effective way to cure recurrent ITP. Rituximab can help you avoid surgery. Plasma exchange is not well proven.

Dr. E

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
At the age of 80+ it may not be a great idea to take out the spleen. That leaves only ritii Ximab.
What tests are conducted prior to rituxima administration? And why.
Can rituximab be given at any stage of the disease ? Do we havt to wait for any particular platelet count
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.

V. A. Datar from iPhone. 

Refer another expert experienced in this area of hematology.