Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

Hello, I am not able to sleep tonight because I drank four

I am not able to sleep tonight because I drank four strong coffee with friends after pub last night and I can't sleep and it makes me feeling panic and frustrated. What is the best solution?

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health.

The best solution is to let go of the situation. You have already taken the coffee so there is nothing you can do about it. So instead, enjoy your time awake by reading or doing something purposeful with your time (if that makes you feel better). Write a list of things you want to achieve this week, or simply journal about your feelings and frustration. This can work wonders to relieve pent up anger and anxiety. Just be sure not to beat your self up. You made a mistake, and focus on what you can do now that is positive. Warm milk makes some sleepy (depends on if you tolerate it) or chamomile tea can help.

Some people are very sensitive to the effects of caffeine and cannot drink it at all due to insomnia. Others do fine by having there last amount by 12pm or 6pm.

There are many things you can do to regulate your sleep. This article will explain many of them:

The same website also have very good sections on stress relief and anxiety relief and other topics. Taking slow deep breaths and focusing on positive subjects such what ever you find relaxing (walking on the beach with the sun going down) or other topics can be helpful as well.

Many people don't realize the alcohol is disruptive of sleep too - it may initially help one get to sleep, but typically the sleep is of a light nature and one will wake up in a few hours.

Reply to this post if you have questions or need clarification so that we can assist you until you are satisfied with your answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for helping me out this morning when I was in a panic state but it was unusual because I believe my coffee was spiked as I was feeling on high when on my way home as if I was drugged. I threw up and could not sleep all night. That is not like me. I threw up again 4 times this morning and I was feeling so ill till about 1pm when I start to feel better. My mentality was not good during last night. I think my coffee was spiked and I filed a complaint against the cafe about it.

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad night. I hope you fully recover. If you believe your coffee was spiked, you may want to see your doctor today and have a toxicology test done to find out what chemicals are found in your body. You need to do this sooner rather than later before you body eliminates them completely.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Spoke to my friend who said that it was due to 4 arab coffee which is considered to be like 20 cups of British coffee! That is why I was feeling like as if I was drugged! Perhaps stress makes me feeling very sick this morning.
Yes, some coffee is quite strong. It can take a while for it to be removed completely from your system, plus you will now be feeling 'off' from missing a night of sleep. Now you will know to ask for decaf at night!