Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

scar in my heart from a previous heart attack, which I have no recall

I recently has a heart stress test and was told I have a scar in my heart from a previous heart attack, which I have no recall of ever being in the hospital for a heart attack. The scar is in the anterior wall of my heart. What caused it and is it serious?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.

Do you have diabetes or any other disease?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been diagnoised as border line diabetic and am taking Metiform which I have been taking for about 2 months now
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

Heart attack usually causes pain. But in some cases it can be without pain too or silent too. It is often seen in diabetics. You will need further evaluation by cardiologist to assess the extent of the scar & its effect.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know I will need further medical treatment, but what puzzles me is that, since there is no way to determine when this scar occurred, and I just became a diabetic recently, will this scar damage my heart or even lead to another heart attack? I have another surgery coming up, will I be in danger during anesthesia?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
It is often not possible to determine when the attack occurred. If it is within a few days or week then the evolving EKG changes & cardiac enzymes can give some idea. But from your history it sounds like it did not occur recently. Extent of damage to heart & risk to surgery can be determined by further tests like echocardiography, angiography, serial EKG & others.