Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

I have black vertical lines in my finger nails. I just read

Customer Question

I have black vertical lines in my finger nails. I just read in women's health that this could be a sign of skin cancer is this true? I just found out i have an autoimmune disease, not lupus but something similar to that, could this be a cause? I have had these lines for about a year that i have noticed. One line in most of my finger nails, when I read this last night it really scared me. I have been a tanner in the past beds and sun. I have had skin issues but I believe most of that is from my immune disease. This nail thing though is scary. Thanks Stacey
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health. I am sorry no one got to your question earlier.

It is possible that these are splinter hemorrhages. These may be dark maroon in the beginning but turn black over time. They can be associated with injury, small clots in the nail bed, and are sometimes associated with arthritis - which as you know may be part of the picture of Lupus. So although there is a slight possibility that it could be cancerous, it is unlikely, but you should see a dermatologist soon.

Please reply to this post if you have questions related to this topic so that we can assist you until you are satisfied with your answer.